[Slackdocs] TOC by Woodsman

Nicolas Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Mon Aug 20 18:44:41 CEST 2012

I just read the following message on LQ, by Woodsman. Don't know if you
also read it, but this looks quite essential. A complete (!) TOC exactly
like I imagined it. No: way better. So let me forward it to you guys.

--8<-------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to use the following:

Generally, computer documentation includes the following:

* An introductory guide, focusing on features and highlighting the
software. Somewhat a marketing tool but technical in nature.
* A startup guide, focusing on the basics of using the software.
* A quick reference guide, focusing on mouse and keyboard shortcuts as
well as the most common tasks.
* A fat user guide, focusing on all elements of using the software.
Often includes tutorials.
* An administrator's guide. This is the stuff that makes most people's
eyes water but is the first thing a geek grabs when confronted with
problems.

** Introduction and Welcome Guide **
What is Slackware?
How Does Slackware Differ From Windows and Macs?
What is Linux?
What is GNU/Linux?
The Idea of Free/Libre Software

** Startup Guide --- An Overview **
The KDE Desktop
The Xfce Desktop
The Fluxbox Desktop
Basic Mouse and Keyboard Techniques
Basic Keyboard Shortcuts
Using Menus
Using Dialog Boxes
Finding Help

** Reference Guide --- Some Computer Fundamentals **
A Multitasking and Multiuser Computer System
Security and User Permissions
Logging In
Logging Out
Creating User and Group Accounts
Shutting Down Properly
Customizing the Desktop
Customizing the Desktop for People with Special Needs
Customizing for Multiple Languages
Adding "Quick Launch" Icons to the Task Bar
Adding Items to the System Menu
Understanding Folders and Files
System Files and User Files
Using a File Manager
Finding Files
Using a Printer
Setting the System Clock
Terminating Programs That Crash or Freeze
Connecting to the Internet
Finding New Programs
Automatically Updating Programs
Viruses and Malware

** User Guide --- How Do I . . . **
Play Solitaire?
Quickly calculate some numbers?
Surf the web?
View a PDF file?
Send and receive email?
Organize my schedule?
Write a formal letter?
Edit basic text files?
Jot notes to myself?
Use special keyboard characters?
Schedule reminders and alarms for myself?
Let the children "paint"?
Do some serious drawing?
Grab a screenshot?
Touch up and edit images?
Draw a flowchart?
Create some charts?
Learn to type?
Listen to music files?
Listen to an audio CD?
Adjust my audio volume?
Watch DVD movies?
Make backups of my CDs and DVDs?
Rip an audio CD?
Use my USB flash drive?
How do I save camera photographs?
Browse and manage my digital photograph collection?
Download and read RSS feeds?
Chat with my daughter with instant messaging?
Edit my web site pages?
Manage finances?
Manage a small-scale project?

** Advanced Topics (Appendices or Separate Documents) **
System Requirements
The Command Line Interface
Installing Multimedia Codecs
Configuring Video Cards and Monitors
Configuring Sound Cards
Configuring Mice
Configuring Internet and Network Connections
Configuring Printers
Configuring Page Scanners
Configuring TV Cards
Installing New Software
Installing Fonts
Installing Firefox Extensions Globally for All Users
Creating A Common File Storage Location
Scheduling System Tasks and Events
Modifying the Bootloader Options
Keeping Slackware Secure
Updating Security Patches
Obtaining Additional Packages
Some Thoughts About Backups

** Administrator's Guide **
Finding Help
Hard Disk Partitioning
Installing Slackware
Updating Slackware
Building Packages
Some Unix Basics
The Filesystem Hierarchy and Structure
Command Line Shell Basics
How the Slackware System Boots
System Services
Kernel Modules and Devices
Slackware Package Management
Emergency Repair Tricks
System Information and Inventory Tricks
Solving System Problems
Installing Windows in a Virtual Machine
Configuring a Firewall
Configuring a Router and Family Local Network
CPU Frequency Scaling
Power Management
Managing a Slackware/Windows Dual Boot System
Migrating Web Browser Settings
Migrating Email Settings

This looks pretty much like 100 % of the TOC we need to get started, no?

Cheers,

Niki
--
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat