[Slackdocs] Suggest an additional namespace for Slackware specific HOWTOs

Nicolas Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Wed Aug 22 20:23:58 CEST 2012

david.a58 at optusnet.com.au a écrit :
> I would like to suggest an additional namespace for Slackware specific HOWTOs.
 > There is currently a namespace for linux_howto_s, which are generic.

I would only include stuff that really JustWorks(tm), AsIs(tm), on
Slackware. Not only that, but ideally, for every HOWTO, tutorial or
article, it would be a good thing to indicate - similarly to
SlackBuilds.org - which version of Slackware it has been tested with /
approved for.

Let me give you an example for that. When setting up VSFTPD, folks
sometimes use the check_shell=NO option. Now with distros like Debian or
Ubuntu, this option forces you to configure PAM accordingly, and this is
also what you can find in most HOWTOS. With Slackware, this works
differently ( = out of the box). A reference to PAM in some generic or
distro-agnostic HOWTO would only confuse new users.

Cheers,

Niki

--
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat