[Slackdocs] we need mainstream

Didier Spaier didier.spaier at epsm.fr
Thu Aug 23 10:56:06 CEST 2012

Hello everybody,

On 23/08/2012 09:09, asteroid wrote:
> Imho we need a clear way :
> 	- 1st en english
> 	- then translate (keeping the _same_ page name). That give us
> 	  http://docs.slackware.com/pt-br:slackware:install and this is
> 	  the portugal translation of the slackware:install page.

I disagree.

What is the rationale here?

Why pages in languages other than English would need to be a translation of existing English pages?

Granted, before a page be included in the documentation it should be checked from sort of a QA assurance,
as are slackbuilds @ slackbuilds.org, in whatever language they be written.

But I don't think that would need to match the new page against an existing one, written in English.

What we need is:
1) Some basic rules to be followed, as for slackbuilds sumissions. I will make proposals.
2) People volunteer and able to check that theses rule be applied in new or edited pages, whatever the language used.

I am confident that we can find enough skilled people to review pages written in their native language.

For instance I guess that Alien Bob would be able to review pages written in Dutch ;)

IMHO one of the main goals of the documentation is to encourage adoption of Slackware Linux by as many people as
possible all over the world. Having to say people not speaking English "You should either learn English first",
or "wait until somebody condescend to translate an Official English Page for you" will not help to reach that goal,
let alone "wait till English version be complete before we begin to translate anything" as I have seen posted on LQ.

Cheers,

Didier