[Slackdocs] we need mainstream

Eric Hameleers eha at alienbase.nl
Thu Aug 23 15:13:41 CEST 2012

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, Noryungi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2012/8/23 Barry Watson <barry.watson23 at gmail.com>:
>> Slackware originated in the US. It makes perfect sense for American English
>> to be the default language of Slackware docs, even if some of the
>> contributors aren't American (I'm not for example).
>>
>> There'll be a lot less need for translation if each article is written first
>> in English. Others can translate to their own language as need be and it
>> helps ensure greater uniformity of quality.
>>
>> Just my £0.015.
>
> Jumping into the conversation here... Hi! New guy here.
>
> Just to say that I tend to agree with Barry. However, this means all
> English/Base
> documentation need to be throughly "tested" and corrected before it is
> translated.
>
> If English is the "base" language, it would be nice to have a team of
> translators,
> and even more important that these translators are informed of changes in the
> English documentation (to update their translations).
>
> Just my € 0.02 ...

There are at least two ways to see that a translation page is outdated
with regard to the english page:

(1) the translator can subscribe to the english page which he has
translated. As such he will get emailed about every update.

(2) a translated page will show a warning message at the top that the
page is outdated, if the english original has been updated.

Note that (2) is dependent on the fact that the Wiki considers english as
primary language. if a translated page changes but the english page stays
unchanged, then the english page will _not_ show a warning about a newer
translation.

Eric