[Slackdocs] Great effort - how do I start?

Eric Hameleers eric.hameleers at alienbase.nl
Thu Aug 23 23:22:57 CEST 2012

Op 23-8-2012 22:58, Nocturnal Slacker schreef:
> That is pretty cool! This was actually a question that I was about
> to ask. So, basically new page creation is done by creating the link
> with the main domain URL + TOC heading + page title. Is this correct?

New page creation is done by typing a URL with a page name which does
not yet exist. The Wiki assumes that your intention is to add that
page and shows you the appropriate controls.

> If you create a page using a TOC sub-heading that doesn't exist,
> does the wiki still create the page and later allow of TOC
> modification by staff to add the new sub-heading?

The page will always be created. Theoretically it is totally
irrelevant whether you use a namespace or a cascade of namespaces (
like http://docs.slackware.com/wiki:user:nocturnal.slacker ) because
the Wiki search function, the recent changes page and the site index
give you ways of finding back your page.

To make your page be found more readily, you would add a link to your
page inside another (already existing) wiki page. That is the manual
approach.

What I want to achieve through the use of page tags (the {{tag>foo
bar}} markup you see at the bottom of several pages) is to have
auto-populating TOC pages. Having to manually update the TOC is
nobody's favourite job, so we will let the Wiki do all the work.

But not just creating Tables Of Contents is possible. For instance, I
created http://docs.slackware.com/tag:needs_attention as an aggregator
for pages that have the "needs_attention" tag. This empowers anyone to
flag a page and if the admin team checks the aggregation page
regularly we have an asynchronous means of communication about issues
with pages.

There is so much more we can do with the Wiki. But lets focus on
getting the guidelines for authors and editors written up so that we
can work from a joint perspective. Then we can draft up the TOC pages.