[Slackdocs] we need mainstream

Didier Spaier didier.spaier at epsm.fr
Fri Aug 24 14:27:59 CEST 2012

On 24/08/2012 09:52, asteroid wrote:

>>> Because the editors don't necessarily speak italian, and it would
>>> thus be impossible for them to review/approve the page.
>>>
>>> The english placeholder page seems a good idea to me. Let's say you
>>> have some french documentation ready, Didier. Create the page in
>>> the english section, put your french text into it. Now create a
>>> french localized version of that page, where you put the same text.
>>> Once this is done, go back to the english page and try a *rough*
>>> translation, using everything from Google Translate to your own
>>> sense of intuitive linguistics.
>>>
>> I you mean that every page in another language should be translated,
>> at least roughly, into English to be reviewed/approved, then yes, I
>> can agree.
>>
>> But I wouldn't accept that an article in another language should wait
>> for an English version to be released before it may be published, as
>> that would imply that no page in another language could be included
>> in SlackDocs until an official editor fluent in that language be
>> co-opted.
>>
>> Would that decision be taken, SlackDocs would miss one of its main
>> goals as I see it.
>>
>> Then I would say good luck to all of you in this endeavor, but would
>> not participate in any way.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Didier
>
> I understand your frustation, I'm french and no write well en others
> languages. It's simple. Like I say in an other message :
> - create your doc the "natural" (english, without prefix) page, and put
>    your french version, with a not saying "waiting for translation".
> - create the fr: localized page, with your doc.
> - at the bottom of the english one, add a note : original document
>    fr:url written by Didier Spaier http://..../fr:url
>
> Imho it is clean.

Thanks for your post Asteroid but that's not what bothers me. As I already answered to Nicolas in a previous post, I agree to do what you suggest.

I may not even need to translate myself in some cases, as I already posted 1,931 times on LQ, directly in English ;)

But as it seems that I was not clear enough, let me repeat my most important statement:
"I wouldn't accept that an article in another language should wait for an English version to be released before it may be published, as that would imply that no page in another language could be included in SlackDocs until an official editor fluent in that language be co-opted."

If/when that rule would/will be enforced, all pages in French, Italian, Russian, Farsi for instance  should  be hidden until their translation into English be published.

The end result would be that only documentation in English would be centralized. Documentation in other languages will remain scattered.

For instance all pages in http://wiki.slackware-fr.org/ would stay where they are (and where I just founded it from your signature, BTW).

Furthermore the pages in wiki.slackware-fr.org would not benefit of any more QA than today.

I fully agree with Nocturnal Slacker, who in a recent post stated  the ultimate goal much better than I possibly could have:
"I feel that this project has the potential to become the reality that we've all wanted to see; a world-wide resource for Slackware knowledge."
That's even a good candidate for a SlackDocs' motto.

But there is no chance that we/you reach that goal if all pages should be first published in English.

Truly yours/Bien à toi

Didier