[Slackdocs] Important note on language considerations and non-english contributions

Eric Hameleers eric.hameleers at alienbase.nl
Fri Aug 24 22:19:01 CEST 2012

On 08/24/2012 10:03 PM, Gerardo Zamudio wrote:
> What about translating pages only available in English into another
> language? I've already set up the main page in Spanish
> http://docs.slackware.com/es:start  and I see someone has already taken the
> initiative to translate the "About Slackware" page. Do we have to contact
> the page authors beforehand or can we just start translating everything?

Don't hold back please! If you want to translate an english page you'll
find out soon enough if someone else has locked that page for editing.

What I would like is that people stick to some kind of etiquette: don't
start editing each other's pages. Before you know it, we have a revert war.

My proposition (actually this is part of the templates for new pages
already): Write your name down at the bottom as the original author.
Anyone who thinks the page can be improved, can write his comments in
the discussion page. That way, we will establish a feel of ownership of
a page. Contributors to the page can be mentkioned below the original
author.

What you don't have to do is contact the author of the english page. The
language sections are largely independent. Your translation does not
even have to be a word-for-word translation. Some languages do not
benefit from literal translations. You can be creative and have your
language pages "breathe" your own identity and culture. In the spirit of
co-operation you could write a comment on the english discussion page if
you added something worthwhile and useful in your own non-english
language that you want to share with the rest.

Just contact a site editor if you find that there is no english page yet
for a new article you want to create.

Cheers, Eric

--

Eric Hameleers