[Slackdocs] Introduction + first ideas

Eric Hameleers eric.hameleers at alienbase.nl
Sat Aug 25 18:26:35 CEST 2012

On 08/25/2012 05:27 PM, zithro (RabbiT) wrote:
> Up. Anyone decided yet ?
>
> 2012/8/24 zithro (RabbiT) <zithro at gmail.com>
>
>> I'm not sure to understand the last part of your message.
>>
>> The first part I think i do, if the link points to an already translated
>> article in my language, i point to it by adding "language:"
>>
>> But the last part makes me struggle "The advantage of keeping the
>> *original* links intact, is that every original link will still work in
>> your translated page... they just point to the english version. Anyone can
>> then decide that they do not like the english text in an italian wiki and
>> start working on a translation"
>> You mean that if there is only an english version, i keep the link to the
>> english version (until someone provides a translation) ?
>>

>> 2012/8/22 Eric Hameleers <eha at alienbase.nl>
>>
>>> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Savino Pio Liguori wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hello everybody,i just noticed one thing:

>>> If an article which you are translating has a link to another Wiki
>>> article inside, then you should indeed update that link to point to the
>>> page in your language (i.e. ou have to add "it:" in front of the original
>>> wiki link).
>>> This is not an automatic process. The advantage of keeping the *original*
>>> links intact, is that every original link will still work in your
>>> translated page... they just point to the english version. Anyone can then
>>> decide that they do not like the english text in an italian wiki and start
>>> working on a translation.

It is a bit hard to explain my thoughts perhaps.

Let's leave it at the discretion of the translator(s) to decide what
they do with wiki links. Either keep them pointing to the english pages
so that a nn-english visitor will have to see english from time to time,
or change the wiki links so that they will point to a page in your
language, even if that page has not been translated yet (in which the
non-english visitor of the Wiki will run a chance of clicking a
non-existing page).

I do not have good reasons why one option would be better than the other.

Eric

--

Eric Hameleers
Email: eric.hameleers at gmail.com