[Slackdocs] [Slackdocs-admin] A web forum for both SlackDocs and the Admin/editor discussions?

x y x77 at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 28 15:58:59 CEST 2012

On 08/28/2012 05:45 AM, Mr. B-o-B wrote:
> Harishankar cried from the depths of the abyss...
>
>> On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 07:35:16 -0400
>> Matthew Fillpot <mfilpot at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My main objection is that my e-mail box keeps getting so many mails, I
>> want to avoid getting any topics at all or subscribe to the digest mode,
>> which I feel reduces readability and replyability and also makes me
>> participate less in discussions. My other objection is that it is really
>> inconvenient to have to access my mail client for reading and replying
>> to the discussions and I hate the gmail web interface.
>
> Firstly, a big Thank You to everyone who are making all this
> possible!  I only discovered the site this past weekend, and I think
> it's great.  I am looking forward to sharing my notes that I struggled
> to create once upon a time to get things working on Slackware :)
>
> I totally disagree with forum idea, and have always been a fan of
> mailing lists.  Mailing lists are in your face, and it's fairly easy
> to hit delete to the topics that are not interesting or you have
> nothing to input.
>
> I am always in my mail, but having to go to a web forum to check on
> things has always been a pain in my opinion.  In the past some of the
> groups I was involved in moved away from mail to web, and I think they
> suffered due to this.  This is just my 2 cents.
>

>> Already I use the slackdocs (user) list in digest mode. I feel
>> overwhelmed by the flurry of e-mails already.
>>
>> Once we grow in volume, I may have to unsubscribe because I
>> want to avoid getting so much mail whenever I access my mail client.
>>
>> To me, I don't see the forum as a real support channel at all. It's
>> just a community website to complement the Wiki and encourage more
>> user participation.
>
> I think once the dust settles the list will slow down.  Most people
> read the docs, use the docs, get what they need, and go about their
> business. Let's be honest, doing documentation is not a chore that
> most people like to do. The wiki is perfect for this.

I can't agree more. Most phpbb forums that you find on the net are ghost
towns, where people have moved on to bigger and better topics. Imagine a
usenet archive, trolls and all, with a web interface. That's not a good
idea. A mailing list gives one the option to participate or not. Ask the
stupid questions on the list thereby keeping the finished product, in
this case, the slackdocs polished, clean and professional looking.