[Slackdocs] New beginners guide

Eric Hameleers eric.hameleers at alienbase.nl
Tue Aug 28 23:13:39 CEST 2012

On 08/28/2012 10:50 PM, Barry Watson wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I've been playing around on and off with an article to help new
> Slackers get up and running with Slackware. I think a draft's now
> ready for people to have a look at and improve and/or add to.
>
> I'd like to publish it (preferably on the front page) - how do I do that?
>
> Thanks
>
> Barry
It may be you who's editing the playground:start page? That is a
dangerous thing to do if your intention is to keep the text. The
playground is meant to test ideas about syntax and design... it is not
meant to work on an article in earnest.

It may so happen that someone decides to delete your content because he
wants to try out something else. Or, the admins schedule a cron job that
clears out the playground content once a week... you get the idea.

If you want to work on a page, just create it under a namespace where it
will be appropriate. A Slackware beginners guide may end up under
slackware: or under hotwos: depending on its content.

You can just type a URL like
"http://docs.slackware.com/slackware:first_steps" and when the Wiki says
that the page does not exist, you click on "create this page" and then
copy your content into that new page (and save that).

A page like is currently at
http://docs.slackware.com/playground:playground will not hit the front
page but will certainly fit in a "Tips for beginners" section which we
_may_ add as a topic on the front page.

Your article does need some editong here and there, and needs links to
the article(s) you mention. Also it needs to be expanded a lot to make
it a required read for new Slackware users. But that is why we have a
team of editors at your disposal - one of them can proofread your
article and help you improve its quality.

Cheers, Eric