[Slackdocs] New beginners guide

Rodrigo Amorim Ferreira rodrigo at codecommunity.org
Tue Aug 28 23:27:13 CEST 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 23:13 +0200, Eric Hameleers wrote:
> On 08/28/2012 10:50 PM, Barry Watson wrote:
> > Hi there
> >
> > I've been playing around on and off with an article to help new
> > Slackers get up and running with Slackware. I think a draft's now
> > ready for people to have a look at and improve and/or add to.
> >
> > I'd like to publish it (preferably on the front page) - how do I do that?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Barry
> It may be you who's editing the playground:start page? That is a
> dangerous thing to do if your intention is to keep the text. The
> playground is meant to test ideas about syntax and design... it is not
> meant to work on an article in earnest.
>
> It may so happen that someone decides to delete your content because he
> wants to try out something else. Or, the admins schedule a cron job that
> clears out the playground content once a week... you get the idea.
>
> If you want to work on a page, just create it under a namespace where it
> will be appropriate. A Slackware beginners guide may end up under
> slackware: or under hotwos: depending on its content.
>
> You can just type a URL like
> "http://docs.slackware.com/slackware:first_steps" and when the Wiki says
> that the page does not exist, you click on "create this page" and then
> copy your content into that new page (and save that).
>
> A page like is currently at
> http://docs.slackware.com/playground:playground will not hit the front
> page but will certainly fit in a "Tips for beginners" section which we
> _may_ add as a topic on the front page.
>
> Your article does need some editong here and there, and needs links to
> the article(s) you mention. Also it needs to be expanded a lot to make
> it a required read for new Slackware users. But that is why we have a
> team of editors at your disposal - one of them can proofread your
> article and help you improve its quality.
>
> Cheers, Eric

I have a suggestion,

I think we can improve the already existent tutorials (the installation
tutorial, inclusive) to help create a better and modular knowledge that
can help both beginner and advanced users without lose focus or
destroying the original content per se.

I'm already trying this in the Brazilian portuguese Slackware Linux
installation page. For this, I'm maintaining the official Slackware
installation document structure, and adding some extra-information (and
local hints, general tips and warnings, etc), to help new users follow
(with less pain possible) this tutorial, without transform this in a
boring text for advanced users.

NOTE: I know its difficult to create a document that will help both
(advanced and new users) without losing focus or destroy the original
content, and in parallel, try to help them understand (aka: assimilate)
"all" information there. But its not impossible. We must try it :)

Best Regards.

Rodrigo