[Slackdocs] Suggestion for Reply Order Structure in the List

Gerardo Zamudio gerardo at gerardozamudio.net
Tue Aug 28 23:54:15 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Rodrigo Amorim Ferreira <
rodrigo at codecommunity.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> In a few emails in this discussion list I saw many different forms of
> REPLY (or GROUP REPLY) that, I think, is disturbing the discussion. So,
> I have a suggestion for everyone:
>
> Based on the e-mail reply structure of many client-based (or web) email
> account, I think will be better for everyone only answer emails in the
> top part of the body (and not in the bottom part). That way we can
> maintain a decreasing time-based answer system in any email present in
> each thread.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Best Regards
>
> Rodrigo

messages. This way the converation flows more naturally. Here is an old BSD
joke regarding this matter:

A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Several people have commented that the Gmail interface is not adequate for
mailing lists, but I've had no problem. Gmail automatically hides quotes,
signatures, and footers and leaves only replies. If you have Conversation
View enabled the threads look just like forum threads. Example:
http://i.imgur.com/9Zxco.png

One thing we could do is cut down on quoting. Only quote the parts that are
relevant to the reply.