[Slackdocs] Suggestion for Reply Order Structure in the List

Lew Pitcher lew.pitcher at digitalfreehold.ca
Tue Aug 28 23:54:35 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 28 August 2012 17:37:51 Rodrigo Amorim Ferreira wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> In a few emails in this discussion list I saw many different forms of
> REPLY (or GROUP REPLY) that, I think, is disturbing the discussion. So,
> I have a suggestion for everyone:
>
> Based on the e-mail reply structure of many client-based (or web) email
> account, I think will be better for everyone only answer emails in the
> top part of the body (and not in the bottom part).

I respectfully disagree. I prefer to reply "in-line", as it maintains the
thread of the discussion, placing rebuttals and expansions adjacent to the
relevant initial text.

> That way we can
> maintain a decreasing time-based answer system in any email present in
> each thread.

"Decreasing time-based answer system"? That sounds a little pretentious, don't
you think?

> What do you think?

I think that less concern should be given to /where/ a reply comes in the
email, and more to /what/ the reply is. And, we should all be aware that
quoting more than necessary slows down the process (a 1 line reply embedded
in a 90-line email, with 3 quoted signature blocks is probably the worst).

HTH
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"