[Slackdocs] Dokuwiki discussion plugin

Eric Hameleers eric.hameleers at alienbase.nl
Wed Aug 29 01:21:46 CEST 2012

On 08/29/2012 12:47 AM, Martin Matějek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This question is mainly for wiki admins. Have you considered using
> discussion plugin (https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:discussion) for Talk
> pages? It would simplify quite a lot things, auto-indenting threads,
> users can edit only his own posts, user signature with timestamp and it
> also offer email notification of changes. Plus, every discussion can be
> moderated from one place.
>
> What do you think? Would it be useful or do you prefer more free-form
> talk pages with headings and other "fancy" stuff?
>
> Martin

HI Martin

Actually I had used the discussion plugin in an earlier version of my
own dokuwiki, before I setup a real blog. I wanted to use this plugin to
mimick a blog inside the wiki.
It did not work out well, my blog posts got scrambled when I updated the
dokuwiki core software. That may not have been the plugin's fault but I
never checked.

What I really wanted to say is: the discussion plugin could break the
separation between the article and the talk page like we have now. The
discussion must _never_ be appended after the Wiki article. Discussions
should be held in the "talk" pages. Just like you pointed out.

I have imported the plugin and setup an example here:
http://docs.slackware.com/talk:wiki:user:alienbob . Feel free to
experiment and I'll let the staff editors decide if they want to
encourage this for official pages (there is of course no objection
against adding it to your private talk page in wiki:user:yourname).

Eric