[Slackdocs] On hold

Nocturnal Slacker nocturnal.slacker at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 17:40:20 CEST 2012

On 08/29/2012 10:21 AM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> No, I didn't forget the list. I'm right in the middle of a big install,
> things go more or less as planned, but this is all quite time-consuming.
> I guess I'll post some pictures of the project once it's finished. A
> 100% Slackware network for 50 - 60 users.
>
> Yesterday the winds of fate were blowing in my face. While I was at the
> school for the install, my girlfriend told me there was a terrible storm
> over our village, and the lightning struck the churchtower right next to
> my office. At exactly at 8:50 AM, since that's the time the tower clock
> froze. The resulting power surge burnt a modem, two switches, and a NIC
> on my Proliant server (as Murphy would have it, the onboard NIC, not the
> other one). I lost almost a whole day purchasing new hardware, rewiring
> and reconfiguring everything.
>
> Tomorrow morning I'm off on a three day trip in the mountains with a
> group of students. This is a school for "difficult" kids, so a trip in
> the mountains is a nice thing to get acquainted at the start of the
> year. We come back on Sunday, and then, once things are settled, I'll
> get more involved again in the Documentation Project. Until now, I've
> done some minor editing whenever I had some time on a break.
>
> Cheers from the rainy South of France,
>
> Niki
>
> PS: I'll Cc: this to the list so folks know that the other admin hasn't
> completely gone AWOL :oD

Tampa, Florida = Lightning capital of the U.S. We know all about
lightning damaged equipment here. For 20+ years as a component level
bench tech, I earned a comfortable living fixing lightning damaged
commercial two-way radio and consumer audio equipment. Those days are
gone, though. Everyone throws away and buys new Chinese manufactured
replacements.

Have fun in the mountains on your retreat with the kids. Sounds like a
nice weekend is in store for you.

We'll be here when you get back. :)

--
~V. T. Eric Layton, Nocturnal Slacker