[Slackdocs] Slackbook.org

Eric Hameleers eric.hameleers at alienbase.nl
Fri Aug 31 00:38:23 CEST 2012

On 08/31/2012 12:28 AM, mr.chew.baka at gmail.com wrote:
> I was curious if an invite was sent out to the folks at slackbook.org
> to help on this project?

They know we exist. Co-incidentally the license of the Beta version of
the Slackware Book was changed just before starting our SlackDocs Wiki,
which would allow us to absorb the Beta Book into the Wiki if we wanted.

> I know they were gungho once upon a time with the revised book but the
> flame fizzeled it seems.  I see they now have a new beta version, but
> not too much has changed really.
It's really just Alan Hicks, with contributions here and there, but
since writing the Slackware Book is not high on his priority list,
progress is slow.

> Was this New site inspired by their lack of activity, or nothing to do
> with it at all?   I like what you guys are doing, and once things
> settle down for me I plan on throwing up a few how-to's (Pervasive
> SQL,  pervasive SQL odbc client, pervasive SQL odbc for PHP setup, and
> Windows AD integration for starters).
Yes, we thought a source with current and relevant Slackware
documentation would be an asset to the community. The Slackware Book
caters to newbie users of Slackware but there is a real need for more
in-depth information about what you can all do with a Slackware box once
you tire of the man pages. Also, the Slackware Book is just one of many
sites about Slackware scattered around the Internet. We want to
consolidate all that raw power and make it easily accessible, but also
easily extensible.

Feel free to contribute stuff that makes the site stand out from other
documentation projects :-)

Eric H.