[Slackdocs] Spam on the wiki

Didier Spaier didier.spaier at epsm.fr
Tue Dec 4 13:51:25 CET 2012

On 04/12/2012 12:56, Eric Hameleers wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, B.Lawrence wrote:
>
>> On 04/12/12 07:58, Bojan Popovic wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just noticed this:
>>> http://docs.slackware.com/samsung_galaxy_s3_case
>>>
>>> I know I could probably delete it myself, but didn't want to do
>>> anything without consulting anyone from the staff.
>>>
>>> Bojan.
>
>> Hi,
>> Thanks, Bojan.
>> I've deleted the contents of that page, but haven't found out how to delete the page itself. I'll have to RTFM again.
>> :-)
>> Brian
>
> The page is gone, and I have changed the registration process so that new users will have _no_ edit rights by default, until the account is manually added to the "users" group by Niki or myself.
>
> That was unfortunately the only way to fight spammers who create accounts on our Wiki.
>
> The spammer account itself has been locked. It was created from a Chinese IP.

I recently had a similar problem with a forum I administrate (http://forums.opensi-community.fr/).
Submitting activation of the account to approval by an admin was not even enough: despite the captcha I received 500 such requests in 5 1/2 days.
So I ended up deactivating the registration process completely: users have to send me an email to register. Not very annoying as hopefully this forum has very low traffic. Oh, well...