[Slackdocs] News from the SlackDocs project

Eric Hameleers eric.hameleers at alienbase.nl
Sat Dec 22 22:54:35 CET 2012

Hi folks!

Another two months have passed since I posted the first "news from the slackdocs project" update (see http://lists.alienbase.nl/pipermail/slackdocs/2012-October/000438.html)

Time for another post as promised.

The Slackware Documentation Project was established 4 months ago. After the initial flurry of activity in order to create a body of work which is useful and useable, we have apparently come into quieter waters. We still are an active project, but less so (on both the author and editor front) than in the first two months. That is not at all a bad thing. I think we have a lot of good content and I see our Wiki pages mentioned in forum posts. We were also mentioned in the Slackware 14 release notes (ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware64-14.0/RELEASE_NOTES), something I forgot to mention in my previous post.

How are we progressing?

We currently have 244 registered user accounts in the Wiki and 111 people subscribed to the slackdocs mailing list http://lists.alienbase.nl/mailman/listinfo/slackdocs . The section with HOWTO pages has grown to a full 98 pages, awesome! And our Wiki is fully internationalized, meaning that a crew of volunteer translators is working hard to make that content available to non-english speakers. Apart from the default english, we now have translations into 14 different languages: http://docs.slackware.com/slackdocs:languages . Sopme translations are more complete than others, so if you speak one of the supported languages and wish to contribute to the project by translating one or more english pages (or even parts of pages) into your own language, we welcome you with open arms!

Along with 64 new Wiki useraccounts in the past two months, we had our first batch of spammers. I take that as a sign of our growing popularity ;-) I had to add some extra levels of protection from malicious user accounts: by default, a new user does not have edit right anymore until an admin grants him that right (usually the same day). The access control lists (ACL) for the pages had to be tightened a bit as well to accomplish this.

For the curious among you: the Wiki has public statistics at http://docs.slackware.com/slackdocs:stats and I keep some non-public statistics as well. These stats pages are part of the Wiki's admin section and cannot be made public unfortunately. Therefore I made a PDF print of the access statistics of the past two months - see the attachment.

Do you miss something that should be part of our Wiki? Let us know, by emailing one of the admins, posting to the mailing list or asking in one of the Wiki's "talk" pages. Someone might step up and write that page for you. Do you have some specialized Slackware related knowledge which you wish to share with the community? Write a Wiki article for us! We welcome your contributions.

Thanks for listening. We witnessed the "end of the world" and came out unharmed. If you want to have a fond memory of 2012-12-21 then you can apply the Slackware Mayan LILO theme (ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware64-14.0/source/a/lilo/slack14.0.2012.bmp which has been installed into /usr/doc/lilo-23.2/sample/slack14.0.2012.bmp if you are running Slackware 14 or -current). Otherwise it is time to celebrate Christmas (if you are into that) and look forward to the new year. Happy holidays to all of you!

Cheers, Eric on behalf of the admin & editor staff

-- Eric Hameleers <alien at slackware.com>