[Slackdocs] Hello world. :)

Bojan Popovic bocke at slackware-srbija.org
Sat Nov 3 01:52:23 CET 2012

Hi!

My name is Bojan, I'm a Slackware user from a small country
called Serbia. I am 30 y. old and have been a Linux user from 2001. I
think I've first heard about Linux in 1999 or 2000. I started with
something called WinLinux and very soon switched to Red Hat. I found
out about Slackware in 2005, tried it and got hooked. While I did try
other distributions, I mostly stayed faithful to Slack. It's a
distribution that best suites my needs and tastes. I'm currently one of
the coordinators of "Slackware Srbija" - Serbian Slackware community.

Slackware Serbia was established in 2006 by a Slackware enthusiasist.
Soon he assembled a small team and they kick-started the things. All
was well for some time. But over the time the activity and interest of
community members dropped and eventually the community came on the verge
of shutting down at the end of 2011. One of the members of the original
team posted a cry to help. He wasn't using Slackware anymore, hadn't
got time for the maintainance and other team members mostly left. He
asked if someone wants to step up and continue. This post
came to a several members (and moderators) of a general IT forum. We
were Slackers and naturally decided to help. We stepped in, extended
the expiring domain name, moved to the new hosting and drew in a bunch
of new users. We also appeared at three or four FLOSS gatherings in
Serbia (including this years SFD where we shortly presented our
community), we held two presentations, and generally tried to promote
Slackware.

Over the time, we assembled a small core team and are slowly
reorganizing and re-growing the community. So our time is mostly
consumed by internal projects ATM. But we intend and are planning to
contribute to a wider Slackware community in the future.

My nickname on the SDP wiki is bocke, the nick I most commonly use. But
I'm also known as bobzilla on LQ Slackware forums.

Well, why am I presenting myself to you now? I took a challenge of
writing an article on Slackware localization for SDP. :) The first draft
will be posted here in several days. I expect your feedback, comments
and support.

And in case you know a good Slackware addiction support group: I am
a Slackware addict. :)

Bojan.