[Slackdocs] regarding localization

Eric Hameleers eric.hameleers at alienbase.nl
Sat Nov 3 13:14:13 CET 2012

On 11/03/2012 12:57 PM, Markus Hutmacher wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm about to write a Howto/Tutorial about "How can I configure my
> Slackware-system for German language support" (localization). I want to
> write it in English and German and the subjects are
> 1. Setting $LANG
> 2. German Menus for Firefox and Thunderbird
> 3. KDE
> 4. Where to obtain the de-packages for libre-office
> 5. further information?
>
> Now my question: In which part of SlackDocs does this go? Administration?
>
> And shouldn't there be (instead) a generic tutorial about localization
> (not only german but all languages)?
>
> My idea would be, that we need a generic Howto/Tutorial about
> localization which at first should be written in English. Afterwards
> this could be translated into various languages.
> And then there could be language-specific subjects added if necessary
> (for example support for chinese or kyrillic).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Markus (markush)

Hi Marcus

Good idea! Bojan Popowic also expressed his desire to write a
localization HOWTO for the Wiki,  so we would be able to have two
langage-specific pages fairly quickly.
I agree that there has to be at least an english page for this, along
with a number of translations. The "translated" pages can give the exact
language-specific instructions (for instance, a chinese person will have
to use SCIM for text input while a german Slackware user is more
interested in getting umlauts displayed). The english page can be
"limited" to having the generic instructions for setting up LANG
variables, keyboard layout, UTF-8 support etc.

I do not mind if the translated pages are going to be a lot different
from the english version, this is something the author has to decide and
a kind of freedom which is required here. But the english version should
at least be useful for anyone, using any language.

I'll be watching out for your pages and am willing to co-operate on the
english version.

What about starting at:
http://docs.slackware.com/slackware:localization ?
The subject is important enough that it does not belong in the "howtos:"
but rather in the "slackware:" namespace. I will give any author of a
language-specific locatlization page edit rights on the english page
(the slackware: namespace is otherwise protected against editing by
non-staff).

Cheers, Eric

--

Eric Hameleers