[Slackdocs] Regarding localization, I need help with keyboard-settings

Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejer mjjzf at syntaktisk.dk
Tue Nov 6 04:29:24 CET 2012

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 22:55:26 +0100
Markus Hutmacher <markus.hutmacher at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello together,
>
> I'm writing about Localization. setxkbmap command and how to use it
> in order to change the keyboard-layout.
>
> Following situation:
> 1. The system boots to runlevel 4
> 2. The systemwide settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ don't meet the
> users requirements regarding the keyboard-settings (for example a
> german user on an american computer).
> 3. The user has written a little script which uses setxkbmap in order
> to adapt the keyboard-settings.

I have put such things in .xinitrc to use a script at startup - then
you can make one for every user to be sure that the relevant layout is
started; I pulled in Danish keyboard settings when I worked in New
York, otherwise my punctuation would have become... erratic; but you
should also mention that it is possible to set up a keyboard switcher
in the settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-keyboard.conf.

In the case you mention:
Option "XkbLayout"  "us, de"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:caps_toggle"
- CapsLock would serve as the switcher.

Having said that, setxkbmap is a user setting, so useful for someone
who does not have root access.
Just my 2 cents. I would be interested in looking at your final
published page.

All the best and thank you to all you documenters,
Morten