[Slackdocs] RAID howto

Niki Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Sun Oct 14 07:33:29 CEST 2012

Le 11/10/2012 22:32, Paul Chavent a écrit :
> So instead of doing
> Ensure that the partition type is Linux RAID Autodetect (type FD).
>
> we should read
> Ensure that the partition type is Linux RAID Autodetect (type DA).

I have two servers running Slackware 14.0 here, one a production server,
the other a sandbox for fiddling around. One is formatted using FD, the
other using DA. Both seem to work OK.

> And instead of doing (for instance)
> mdadm --create /dev/md2 --level 1 --raid-devices 2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2
>
> we should read (for instance)
> mdadm --create /dev/md/swap --level 1 --raid-devices 2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2
>

> Can you confirm ?

For consistency's sake, I always use a naming scheme pointing to the
underlying devices, e. g. "md1" for the array consisting of sda1, sdb1,
sdc1, ..., "md2" for the array consisting of sda2, sdb2, sdc3, and so
on. This also works with Slackware 14.0.

Niki

--
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr