[Slackdocs] Title / namespace for NIS+NFS-HOWTO?

Matthew Fillpot mfilpot at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 08:06:51 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Niki Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I'd like to contribute a HOWTO about centralized authentication using NIS
> and NFS. My own documentation in French already exists, so I guess I'll
> start by translating that into english. Before doing that, I wonder about
> the choice of title for this HOWTO. Here's a few possibilities:
>
> - Roaming user profiles
> - Centralized authentication
> - NIS+NFS
>
> What title and/or namespace would you suggest?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki
> --
> Microlinux - Solutions informatiques 100% Linux et logiciels libres
> 7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
> Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr
> Mail : info at microlinux.fr
> Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32

All of your documents should be in the howtos namespace.

As for the contents of the article, I think it should be broken into
separate articles to allow for expansion and modular use.
Below are my recommendations and questions.

1. Namespace - howto:centralized_authentication_NIS
   Title - Centralized Authentication with NIS
   Contents - Explain how to setup an NIS server for centralized
authentication
   Tags - howto software nis security authentication network_services

2. Namespace - howto:nfs_shared_directories
    Title - Shared Directories with NFS
    Contents - Explain how to setup and NFS server and secure the server
    Tags - howto software nfs security shared_directories network_shares
filesystem network_services
    **Question***  - Can this document be combined with
http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:home_nfs_howto or refer to that document
to centralize information?

3. Namespace - howto:roaming_profiles
   Title - Roaming Profiles with NIS and NFS
   Contents - Try to refer to the other documents as the base and instruct
the user to combine the efforts with the middle steps to accomplish the task
   Tags - howto software nfs nis roaming_profiles network_services

These are only my recommendations, but I think that structure would work
best for future additions and the tags will make the articles easily found
and referenced by other articles.

--
-Thank You,
-Matthew Fillpot

-Slackware Documentation Project - Staff Editor
- http://docs.slackware.com/wiki:user:mfillpot

-Linux.com - Moderator
- https://www.linux.com/forums/person/198