[Slackdocs] Slackbook Conventions and article updates

Rodrigo Amorim Ferreira rodrigo at codecommunity.org
Wed Sep 5 05:17:57 CEST 2012

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 21:24 -0400, Matthew Fillpot wrote:
> All,
> I am in the process of updating all slackbook pages to match the
> original and have come across an issue that needs input.
>

> I know that our goal is to keep a clone of the slackbook-beta, however
> the installation page(http://docs.slackware.com/slackbook:install) on
> the wiki has been greatly changed and I need guidance. Should I remove
> all new content and restore the original, restore the original and
> keep the external links or take another path to guarantee that the
> community revisions are not lost?
>

> I am working one chapter at a time, once this has been decided I will
> continue to work through the book.
>

> --
> -Thank You,
> -Matthew Fillpot
>

> -Slackware Documentation Project - Staff Editor
> - http://docs.slackware.com/wiki:user:mfillpot
>

> -Linux.com - Moderator
> - https://www.linux.com/forums/person/198

Hi Matthew,

I think you can try three different paths:

FIRST PATH

I would suggest evaluate both pages (from Beta and SlackDocs) and create
a new install page with the best parts of this two origins [more work to
do].

SECOND PATH

Try to improve the SlackDocs install page with some ideas in the Beta
install page (if exists) [less work to do].

THIRD PATH

Do nothing and let the SlackDocs install page be improved naturally by
the community [you only point to the Beta version and let the community
do the hard work].

Best Regards.

Rodrigo

NOTE: And I don't know about the possible impact this modifications
would do to other (already-started) translation projects. I can only
talk about my part of the translation (Brazilian portuguese, or pt-br
for short).

In the Brazilian portuguese translation of the SlackDocs Slackware Linux
install page, I modified it so much that it doesn't resembles anymore
the original one (the actual SlackDocs Slackware Linux install page in
English). And in case you choose some big modification in the actual
install page, I will only try to catch the new parts (if exists) that
will be good to absorb in my own version (I already expanded it a lot),
and try to improve a bit more for the Community's sake :D

But I will encourage any modifications in the English install page that
can make it better for the whole Project :)