[Slackdocs] Slackbook Conventions and article updates

Rodrigo Amorim Ferreira rodrigo at codecommunity.org
Wed Sep 5 17:17:01 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 00:14 -0400, Matthew Fillpot wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Rodrigo Amorim Ferreira
> <rodrigo at codecommunity.org> wrote:
>         On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 21:24 -0400, Matthew Fillpot wrote:
>         > All,
>         > I am in the process of updating all slackbook pages to match
>         the
>         > original and have come across an issue that needs input.
>         >
>         >
>         > I know that our goal is to keep a clone of the
>         slackbook-beta, however
>         > the installation
>         page(http://docs.slackware.com/slackbook:install) on
>         > the wiki has been greatly changed and I need guidance.
>         Should I remove
>         > all new content and restore the original, restore the
>         original and
>         > keep the external links or take another path to guarantee
>         that the
>         > community revisions are not lost?
>         >
>         >
>         > I am working one chapter at a time, once this has been
>         decided I will
>         > continue to work through the book.
>         >
>         >
>         > --
>         > -Thank You,
>         > -Matthew Fillpot
>         >
>         >
>         > -Slackware Documentation Project - Staff Editor
>         > - http://docs.slackware.com/wiki:user:mfillpot
>         >
>         >
>         > -Linux.com - Moderator
>         > - https://www.linux.com/forums/person/198
>         >
>         >

>         > Slackdocs mailing list
>         > Slackdocs at alienbase.nl
>

>         Hi Matthew,
>
>         I think you can try three different paths:
>

>         FIRST PATH
>
>         I would suggest evaluate both pages (from Beta and SlackDocs)
>         and create
>         a new install page with the best parts of this two origins
>         [more work to
>         do].
>

>         SECOND PATH
>
>         Try to improve the SlackDocs install page with some ideas in
>         the Beta
>         install page (if exists) [less work to do].
>

>         THIRD PATH
>
>         Do nothing and let the SlackDocs install page be improved
>         naturally by
>         the community [you only point to the Beta version and let the
>         community
>         do the hard work].
>
>         Best Regards.
>
>         Rodrigo
>
>         NOTE: And I don't know about the possible impact this
>         modifications
>         would do to other (already-started) translation projects. I
>         can only
>         talk about my part of the translation (Brazilian portuguese,
>         or pt-br
> [...]

If people in this project would be interested in my improvements made in
the Brazilian portuguese translation of the SlackDocs install page, I
will gladly help. If you want, I can help them to create an English
version of my translation version. But what I cannot do now is to create
from scratch an English version like that. I'm not (yet) good enough in
English to create (in first hand) a minimalist document like that (I'm
still far away from that). [but I can try, of course]

So, I'm first working in what I consider "a better install page" in my
own native language (pt-br). But once I can finish it in the Brazilian
portuguese translation of the install page, I can help (not alone, of
course) create an English version with you guys.

Also, I put all my concerns about the matter in the discussion page of
this install page of this translated version, about why I'm doing all
this (comments in English). But the central point is: help new users
(both in Linux and in Slackware) to try and use Slackware Linux "with
less pain possible", without forget the old Slackware users.

Also, the Brazilian portuguese install page is still a "work in
progress". Because of the many improvements that I'm still creating on
it, I'm not finished the translation yet. But soon, I think, I will
finish it :)

Best Regards.

Rodrigo