[Slackdocs] Proofreaders wanted for NTP-HOWTO

Seb sbb at tuxfamily.org
Sat Sep 8 10:05:00 CEST 2012

Le Fri, 07 Sep 2012 20:02:53 +0200
Niki Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> a écrit:

Hello,

I'm not sure to understand the note you putted in the first section:

> The ntpdate command is normally considered obsolete, but it still
> comes in handy when performing important time adjustments. The
> “orthodox” way would be to use the ntpd -g command - the official
> replacement for ntpdate - but its use will fail if your system clock
> is off for more than half an hour.

I use ntpd in my rc.local to sync my station every Sundays, and this
machine is off when I don't use it (I mean totally off, it is
connected to a power strip with a toggle) -- sometimes for days. I
never encountered any problem. Maybe because I use "ntpd -g -q"? the
ntpd manual describes the -q/--quit option as the replacement for
ntpdate.

++
Seb.