[Slackdocs] Proofreaders wanted for NTP-HOWTO

x y x77 at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 8 19:09:49 CEST 2012

On 09/08/2012 04:00 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Seb a écrit :
>> I use ntpd in my rc.local to sync my station every Sundays, and this
>> machine is off when I don't use it (I mean totally off, it is
>> connected to a power strip with a toggle) -- sometimes for days. I
>> never encountered any problem. Maybe because I use "ntpd -g -q"? the
>> ntpd manual describes the -q/--quit option as the replacement for
>> ntpdate.
>
> Well, the HOWTO is for scenarios where machines have to be
> *constantly* synchronized (e. g. not just once a week on Sunday).
>
> The 'ntpdate' allows to adjust a system clock that's out of sync by
> more than half an hour. You can try to manually "set" your system to a
> wrong time and date. 'ntpd -g' will fail to adjust it, 'ntpdate' won't.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki

I have all machines sync every 15 minutes via cron to the local "stratum
0" time server by running "ntpdate 192.168.0.4" . There are several ways
to do it in Slackware, and it all revolves around one's level of
paranoia as to how to do it. With the server pools, one has to worry
about external open ports and system profiling, which is why I picked
the "internal" server for mine. Where to stick that pesky gps unit was
my only worry lol.