[Slackdocs] Proofreaders wanted for NTP-HOWTO

Niki Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Mon Sep 10 06:52:19 CEST 2012

Gil André a écrit :
> One should first use the pooling facility at ntp.org, and*not*  choose a server "according to country".
>
> The strange thing is that you go on and use  "0.fr.pool.ntp.org" and others in the rest of the HOW TO…
>
> Unless I am mistaken, all time sync operations should be done on the top level of the "pool.ntp.org" DNS, so,
> for instance: fr.pool.ntp.org should be the only "server" used in the NTP configuration for a server in France.

 From that same page:

"As pool.ntp.org will assign you timeservers from all over the world,
time quality will not be ideal. You get a bit better result if you use
the continental zones (For example europe, north-america, oceania or
asia.pool.ntp.org), and even better time if you use the country zone
(like ch.pool.ntp.org in Switzerland) - for all these zones, you can
again use the 0, 1 or 2 prefixes, like 0.ch.pool.ntp.org. Note, however,
that the country zone might not exist for your country, or might contain
only one or two timeservers. If you know timeservers that are really
close to you (measured by network distance, with traceroute or ping),
time probably will be even better."

Cheers,

Niki

--