[Slackdocs] Security & bug alert: /bin/ash 'getopts'

Seb sbb at tuxfamily.org
Fri Jan 11 12:14:59 CET 2013

Le Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:20:24 +0100
Martijn Dekker a écrit:

Hello,

> A simple and effective solution may be to replace the old version of ash
> that ships with Slackware with a more recent ash from Red
> Hat/CentOS/SUSE or with dash from Debian.

AFAIK, the Slackware's ash however does not even compile anymore on
Slackware since byacc was removed in the 12.0.

The best replacement is probably the dash branch maintained by H. Xu:

  http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/dash/

It sticks (hard) with POSIX and works pretty well. I've been testing
my script portability with it for years now, and never found any
strange behaviour which was not eventually just compliant with the
standard.

Have you reported the issue to Pat? you maybe hold the bug which
could draw him to actually ditch this old unmaintained thing! :)

++
Seb.

P-S. FYI, the POSIX getops's described here:
      http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/getopts.html