[Slackdocs] newbie questions

pdi pdi at otenet.gr
Thu Dec 18 06:04:11 CET 2014

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:20:42 +0000
Matthew Fillpot <mfilpot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for my previous response, some days are better than others.

I apologize if my response was poorly worded and implied I took
offense with yours, that's simply not the case.

> Unless there is a disagreement from the editing team, I will start
> working on list of conventions to be used as a standard. This task
> will require me to also review and revise prior article to
> standardize the output. That process will take a while to complete,
> but I believe it is needed.

Thanks for your readiness to undertake this task. I include at the
bottom of the message the conventions I use in my own notes, as an
example, not as a proposal. Let me say that they evolved for asciidoc
which has different rendering than dokuwiki. One example is that
italics in dokuwiki are not as clearly differentiated. I wonder if
there is a way to use them with changed font. Let me also say that any
conventions should be kept to the bare minimum, they aim to aid
reading, not hamper it.

> Your article is being displayed in public without review because many
> of the editors watch the modifications to articles as they are
> submitted, you can find your article in the how-to index at
> http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:start . Since there are a few new
> articles in that section since my last cleanup, I will review, move
> and categorize the non-categorizes articles by this weekend, so yours
> may move if it belongs within one of the categories.
>
> Thank you for your input, it displayed where we can improve the site
> and has prompted a new review for me to undertake. Both are welcome.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Matthew Fillpot

italics
    Emphasis. Paths, filenames, commands. Also used in bibliographies
    as prescribed by some style book.

bold
    Greater emphasis. Internals: command options, bash builtins, kernel
    modules, etc.

underlined
    Links.

monospaced
    In text code fragments. Non-source listing. Command output. Text
    diagrams.

monospaced highlighted
    Source listing, usually bash.

monospaced bold
    User input in the command line.

name(n)
    Reference to a man page in section n, eg bash(1). Reference to a
    chapter of a man page: init(8), BOOTFLAGS.

CAPS
    Kernel configuration options. Shell and environment variables.
    Variables in general. Keynames, eg. ESC, CTRL (as in CTRL-d),
    ENTER, etc. Abbreviations. Signals, eg SIGHUP. Filetypes, eg. TXT,
    HTML, SH, etc.