[Slackdocs] Server OS upgrade this week

Eric Hameleers (SBo) eric.hameleers at alienbase.nl
Wed Aug 19 19:58:48 CEST 2015

Op 19-8-2015 om 12:01 schreef Eric Hameleers:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2015, Eric Hameleers wrote:
>
>> Somewhere this week, I will perform an upgrade of the OS on the Wiki
>> server. I expect that everything will still work afterwards, because
>> my modifications to the OS and added packages are fairly minimal.
>>
>> There will be a reboot because of the new kernel, but that is just a
>> hickup. If anything else fails after the upgrade, there may be some
>> downtime on the Wiki (docs.slackware.com) but also possibly on
>> taper.alienbase.nl (same server, different hostname) where I host my
>> mirrors and git repositories.
>
> The OS upgrade for the Wiki is ongoing at this moment. I have shutdown
> the webserver and SQL server to prevent mishap.
> Should be up and running again in half an hour if all goes according
> to plan.
>
> Cheers, Eric H.
It's all done now (the upgrade finished several hours ago).
There were some initial troubles because I had not noticed that Apache
2.4 does not load mod-cgi by default. My cgi scripts were not executing
and their source code was displayed instead.
Once I realized that crucial difference with Apache 2,2, gitweb and cgit
started working again.

This was an upgrade of Slackware 13.37 to 14.0. I plan on repeating this
exercise in a short while, when I migrate the server to Slackware 14.1.

Cheers, Eric