[Slackdocs] Server OS upgrade this week

Eric Hameleers eha at alienbase.nl
Fri Aug 21 13:01:36 CEST 2015

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015, John Ciemgals wrote:

> Ok, thanks for clarification.
> I personally mainly prefer new install instead of "upgrading distro",
> because some times in past with linuxes try upgrading distro, all in all i
> anyway ended with fresh install :)
> As one of my ex boss said "no good work does not remain unpunished" :)

Slackware is very robust and resilient when it comes to upgrades between
adjacent versions. Most Slackware users I know will only perform frehsh
installs when they buy a new computer.
I have never done a Slackware upgrade that went wrong, except for the one
time that I mistakenly upgraded docs.slackware.com (which runs a 32-bit
OS) with 64-bit packages... and even that could easily be repaired. Note:
I repaired that mess sitting behind my home computer using an ssh session
to the QEMU console for the VM which is hosted in a datacenter on the
other side of the Atlantic.

Eric H.