[Slackdocs] Fwd: Re: Can't create a page

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Sat Jan 10 12:29:27 CET 2015

(Forwarding to the list, I pressed the wrong "reply" button in
Thunderbird, sorry Eric for then duplicate)

On 10/01/2015 01:11, Eric Hameleers wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 10:41 PM, Didier Spaier <didier at slint.fr
>>     I've cooked a page and its translation to French (both attached) but
>>    can't remember how to create it in SlackDocs. While logged I type in
>>     the address bar:
>>     http://docs.slackware.com/__wiki:slackware:get_acquainted___with_slackware
>>     <http://docs.slackware.com/wiki:slackware:get_acquainted_with_slackware>
>>
>>     I get this:
>>     You've followed a link to a topic that doesn't exist yet. If
>>     permissions allow, you may create it by clicking on “Create this page”.
>>
>>     So far, so good, but I can't find a button to create the page
>     (though I'm logged in).

> Some of the namespaces are only editable by the group of WIki
> admins/editors. The following namespaces are read-only to you and most
> others: slackware, slackdocs, slackbook and parts of the wiki namespace.
>
> Your article should get an initial placement in one of the sections of
> the howto namespace.
> The translation pages (non-english) do not have these strict editing
> limitations though.
>
> If you want to convince one of the editors that your article does not
> belong in a howto section but in the slackware namespace instead, please
> discuss this on the slackdocs mailing list after your article has been
> made available.

Hi Eric, thanks for the heads-up.

The English version is here:
http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:misc:get_acquainted_with_slackware
and the French one here:
http://docs.slackware.com/fr:howtos:misc:get_acquainted_with_slackware

I do think that this article does not belong in a howto section but in
the slackware namespace instead.

It's not a "how to do something" but is intended to help people
who move to Slackware from another *nix system to save time, knowing
Slackware peculiarities from a practical point of view.

I'd go as far as wish it be linked to in SlackDocs' home page under
"Getting Started with Slackware" as it's really the goal, just written
more specifically for elsewhere experienced users.

It's short, just to prevent the tl;dr syndrome ;)

Now a technical note: I first wrote the French version using the
asciidoc markup to which I am used. Then I used the po4a application to
generate a PO file (like we do in Slint) and translate that to English,
then generate the English asciidoc text.

But as SlackDocs uses Dokuwiki as a backend I wrote a sed script to make
the conversion asciidok markup => dokuwiki markup and used that for both
versions. The script is work in progress as it just processes at time of
writing the markup subset I needed in that case, but I intend to enhance
and complete it, then to write a reverse script dokuwiki => asciidoc.

This could help translators as po4a doesn't ship a dokuwiki backend, but
IMO it's easier to translate using a tool like lokalize as you can see
the original text and the translation side by side or or one below the
other. Would that interest someone?

Cheers, Didier