[Slackdocs] E-book version of Wiki content

Eric Hameleers (SBo) eric.hameleers at alienbase.nl
Fri Jul 24 15:23:34 CEST 2015

Op 24-7-2015 om 01:14 schreef Nocturnal Slacker:
> On 07/23/2015 10:28 AM, Eric Hameleers (SBo) wrote:
>> I have not explicitly mentioned http://docs.slackware.com/epub:slackbook
>> in earlier posts, but a thread on LinuxQuestions
>> (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackdocs-and-slackware-linux-essentials-book-s-4175548580/)
>> triggered me that people are not aware that an EPUB version of the
>> Slackware Linux Essentials, Revised"" book (Wiki edition can be
>> downloaded from our Wiki.
>>
>> The SlackDocs Wiki has an "epub" extension which allows to define the
>> content of a custom book (you select the pages) and then create an EPUB
>> book out of that.
>> On the page http://docs.slackware.com/epub:slackbook I defined an EPUB
>> by adding all the chapters of our WIki version of the Slack Book and
>> running the generator on that definition. The resulting EPUB book is
>> http://docs.slackware.com/_media/epub:alienbob:2015_july_23_05-55-47.epub ,
>> a URL which is accessible on that page even for visitors without editor
>> rights.
>>
>> Challenge to you, the mailing list audience: I need a cover page for
>> that EPUB book!
>>
>> The official cover of the paper book "Slackware Linux Essentials" (see
>> http://it-book.pro/img/books/14.png) looks nice but the Revised book is
>> not written by these original authors, it was a community effort to
>> rejuvenate the original book. The printed version of this Revised
>> edition lists Alan Hicks as additional author next to the three original
>> ones: https://store.slackware.com/images/sp/slackbook.gif
>>
>> The Slack Book Beta is yet another incarnation of the book - re-written
>> by Alan Hicks to get rid of the GPL restrictions of the original - is
>> what we imported into our WIki.
>>
>> What I want is a cover image in the spirit of the original. That image
>> (if one is created) will be added to the EPUB book.
>>
>> Eric
> I could probably GIMP something up pretty easily, but I'd need to know a
> bit more precisely what you want on the cover and the preferred color
> schema and optimum resolution to be utilized for the epub document. Give
> me some details of what you have in mind, Eric, and I'll work up two or
> three versions for you to consider.
>
> ~vtel
Well, it was implied by linking to
https://store.slackware.com/images/sp/slackbook.gif that a cover image
for the Wiki version may somewhat look like that older cover. At least
regarding color scheme and graphics.
For certain, the Slackware logo (the "S" as well as the "Slackware
Linux" understrike text) should be present in some capacity (wither
whole, or morphed or partially visible).
No author names on the new cover though - the title should be
sufficient, and it should be clear that this is a Wiki-fied version of
the Beta Book.
Something like "The Slack Book"as the main title and "SlackDocs Wiki
version" as a subtitle?
I leave it to you to include (or not) the Wiki URL
http://docs.slackware.com/slackbook:start on that cover image.

Have fun! Eric H.