[Slackdocs] Proofreaders wanted for NTP-HOWTO

Niki Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Sat Sep 8 15:20:44 CEST 2012

Seb a écrit :

> Yes, but in this section you show how to sync the time occasionally.

In an average LAN setup this is only supposed to happen once, usually
right after installing the machine.

>> The 'ntpdate' allows to adjust a system clock that's out of sync by more
>> than half an hour. You can try to manually "set" your system to a wrong
>> time and date. 'ntpd -g' will fail to adjust it, 'ntpdate' won't.
>
> Weird... by there it seems to work pretty:
>
> # date -s "19700101 01:01:01"
> jeu. janv.  1 01:01:01 CET 1970
> # ntpd -g -q
> ntpd: time set +1347109688.512447s
> # date
> sam. sept.  8 15:09:30 CEST 2012

Indeed? Well, it looks like recent version of ntpd don't suffer from
this limitation.

Feel free to correct the HOWTO.

Cheers,

Niki

PS: in April 2010 I was at the "salon Solutions Linux", and I talked
with a few guys from Tuxfamily. Are you the guy who sported a laptop
running Slackware and KDE4?
--
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web  : http://www.microlinux.fr