[Slackdocs] [Slackdocs-admin] A web forum for both SlackDocs and the Admin/editor discussions?

Harishankar v.harishankar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 13:48:25 CEST 2012

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 07:35:16 -0400
Matthew Fillpot <mfilpot at gmail.com> wrote:

> Normally I am partial to forums, but since this out goal is well
> written documentation rather than real-time assistance I feel a forum
> would be out of place and require more maintenance than the benefits
> can justify. Our current method of using mailing-lists is controlled
> and centralized without requiring us to use yet another venue for the
> discussions. The way I see our communications is simple, admin
> discussions belong on the admin lists, general discussions and ideas
> are submitted the slackdocs list and real time brainstorming can
> happen in the IRC channel providing that the results are shared with
> the group.
>
> There is one place that I think a forum would help, soliciting ideas
> for new content. Once the wiki is locked and forces article approvals
> it will be more difficult for people to drop recommendations on the
> site, to handle that in the future we could use a forum with
> poll/voting capabilities or have a subsection of the wiki be opened
> to allow simple questions and polls to gauge interest in the topics.
> However remember that this need is a ways down the road and does not
> require an immediate solution.

My main objection is that my e-mail box keeps getting so many mails, I
want to avoid getting any topics at all or subscribe to the digest mode,
which I feel reduces readability and replyability and also makes me
participate less in discussions. My other objection is that it is really
inconvenient to have to access my mail client for reading and replying
to the discussions and I hate the gmail web interface.

Already I use the slackdocs (user) list in digest mode. I feel
overwhelmed by the flurry of e-mails already.

Once we grow in volume, I may have to unsubscribe because I
want to avoid getting so much mail whenever I access my mail client.

To me, I don't see the forum as a real support channel at all. It's
just a community website to complement the Wiki and encourage more
user participation.

Anyway, let us see what other users have to say.

Regards,
Hari